Saturday, January 16, 2016

Rain In The Winter



"Let the rain beat upon your head
with liquid drops ... I love the rain."
Langston Hughes




In the winter when the rain is cold and the sun is shinning elsewhere, I feel chilled to the bone. The sky with thick gray blankets stifle my visions of free floating in the sky.  The heaviness in the atmosphere presses upon my head.  I have not always disliked rain. 

I used to walk in the rain with my high school friend, laughing hysterically as we devoured ice cream cones.  On a screened in porch protected from the rain, I watched my little ones play as time enveloped us in love.  The porch swing stacked with pillows and a blanket comforted me as I watched tears falling from the sky.  Dancing in the rain with my grandchild splashed the blues away. 

Rain is a shape shifter, sometimes being a gentle sprinkle in the spring or a thunderous high wind rage.  It can nourish or debilitate.  It can form a gentle flow or expand outside of boundaries.  It can promote growth or death.  Rain in the winter imprisons me inside, waiting for the sun to return to the sky.



No comments:

Post a Comment