Friday, April 18, 2014

Joy in Witnessing




"He understood that in walking to atone for the mistakes he had made, it was also his journey to accept the strangeness of others.  As a passerby, he was in a place where everything, not only the land, was open.  People would feel free to talk, and he was free to listen.  To carry a little of them as he went.  He had neglected so many things that he owed this small piece of generosity to the past."

THE UNLIKELY PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY
Rachel Joyce


We miss so many opportunities to experience life in different situations by choosing not to extend conversations with strangers.  Whether it is on a park trail or an aisle in the grocery store, total strangers become openly vulnerable with the slightest of gestures.

While walking the other day, I passed a woman wearing a scalloped artistic khaki jacket.  I liked it by sight, but did not comment until I had already passed her.  I quickly turned and said, "Nice jacket!"  The woman stopped and stepped back towards me.  "It is so old," she said.  Then she continued on to say that when her mother passed, she came across this very jacket with her mother's name on the label.  She said she could not help but feel her mother was prompting her to buy it.  "I still feel close to mom whenever I wear it and I can't throw it away," the woman shared.  I encouraged her to continue to wear it as it looked great, and then continued on my way.

Although incidental, this conversation brought me into the presence of a stranger who willingly shared a story.  It is a story I will remember and share with others.  It is not life changing, but it is life enhancing.  Had I not taken the time to comment out loud, I would have entirely missed this exchange. 

Often times, it is the little things bringing tenderness to our lives.  I believe I appreciate a day filled with little bursts of insight rather than one big 'ah ha' moment once per month.  Little bits of sweetness can brighten our day and make others happy by allowing them to share a small piece of their world.  There can be joy in witnessing the lives of others, if we would just take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment