Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day





The name for the month of 'May' has been believed to derive from 'Maia',
who was revered as the Roman 'Goddess of Springtime, of Growth and
Increase', and the mother of 'Mercury', the winged messenger of the Gods.
 
May Mystical World Wide Web




When I was in kindergarten, we made spring baskets and flowers out of colorful construction paper.  We decorated the borders in our class room giving  it a festive decor.  As I grew older, we planted seeds in little plastic cups in celebration of May and then Popsicle sticks came into play.  I don't remember much about May Day in high school, but there is something about dancing around the May Pole once in college.

Married with children, I made little May baskets with flowers and got up early while the household still slept.  I deposited the 12 small baskets on the porches of dear friends.  It used to be one of my favorite things to do. 

I love picking assorted flowers from our yard and then placing them in different rooms in the house.  When I enter a room and see the flowers a smile is surely to follow.  I breathe in the faint fragrance and my body seems to relax.

Throughout the summer I try to be mindful as I am on my way out the door to visit a friend.  At the last minute, I will grab a few flowers and place them in a little vase or bottle to bring as a  surprise gift, leaving the container with them.   It can be a reminder of friendship or passed on to friends.  It is such a small gesture but it truly brings me pleasure.

So on May Day, my reverence for all flowers is rekindled.  A large assortment of flowers are planted in clay pots or random containers in our back yard.  The perennial garden has a head start and in no time, our yard is turned into a colorful garden of flowers.  Peony, Iris, Lavendar, Hibicus, Lantana, Calalily, Double headed Impatience, Zinnias, and Asters to name just a few. 

May Day, I sincerely welcome you!

No comments:

Post a Comment