Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Lifting, In Increments




"I learned compassion from being discriminated against. Everything 
bad that's ever happened to me has taught me compassion."
Ellen DeGeneres

Discrimination was experienced early in my life. I was the only non-catholic attending a Roman Catholic Elementary School. I was growing up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood and I was not of the Jewish faith. I attended a private college prep academy with wealthy people who lived in distant neighborhoods. I learned quickly, that minorities attract uneducated judgments which can personally trigger either hatred or compassion.

My father was a very prejudiced man and as a rebellious child I of course stood for whoever he judged. I was forever digging to find background material which could help explain the actions of the criticized. In stating his case, I would continuously search for mitigating circumstances so he could view others as human beings. I did not succeed, as he would only shake his head in disapproval; but I experienced two sides to every story.

My career threw me into dysfunctional homes and as I was able to understand the origin of decay, I began lifting ... in increments ... the down trodden. The word prejudice grows out of numerous situations of being misunderstood, judged, and disrespected; as not being seen for any value; and primarily categorized based on ignorance and lack of understanding. Compassion is not a simple emotion. From our experiences, we either kindle hatred or allow compassion to become a life style.

No comments:

Post a Comment