Friday, July 29, 2016

Intrigue, Wonderment, and Beauty



"In the total darkness,
poetry is still there,
and it is there for you."
Abbas Kiarostami


Khalil Gibran captivated me in my early years.  I would read his poems, but I was also intrigued by his seemingly dark life.  Otherwise, I was thoroughly steeped in literature not favoring any other poet.   I would eventually learn of Hafiz and Rumi who became kindred spirits.  In later years, author of the book, Restorative Yoga,  Nancy Hodge Long introduced me to numerous poets.

There are those who say poetry isn't for everyone, but I disagree.  I believe one must search for a resonating poet just as one does for a favorite author.  In yoga class, my teacher and dear friend, Nancy Hodge Long, reads poems by Mary Oliver, David Whyte and John O'Donohue.  Perhaps it is the cadence she uses while reading, but  poetic words across her lips become a relaxing tonic.

The amount of time spent in search of a poet is well spent, as the poet opens the heart to a world of wonderment and beauty.  The words will calm and inspire, allowing present day experience to remain at bay.  Poetic phrases wrap the reader in a nurturing cloak, lifting vibrations to easily face another  unfolding day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment