Sunday, August 23, 2015

No More Lies





    "The only lies for which we are truly punished
are those we tell ourselves."

V.S. Naipaul


It is difficult to recognize personal truth when it has been buried for so long.  Like old boxes stacked in the cellar, we hide our gifts under lies we tell to our selves.  Why do we do that?  Are our lies based on how we think others perceive us or do we simply  choose to remain small?  Are we afraid to bring attention to our abilities or do we fear our power waiting in the shadows?  

In preparation for a return to my career, I was working on my resume.  While talking with my college roommate, she offered to edit the document.  I emailed my streamlined version to her that night.  Within a week, I received a package in the mail.  I couldn't imagine what it was.  

Upon opening the parcel, I found a stack of professionally printed resumes.  The paper was an off white linen effect with a font that was neither flamboyant nor common.  The chosen format offered clarity with precision.  As I read each paragraph in total disbelief, tears ran down my cheeks.  

Every experience listed was accurate and truthful, but coupled with her business language, the impression being made was far beyond my wildest dreams.  I hardly recognized myself except for the slivers of my working history.  Word positions and re framing had worked miracles.

I wept, as the deep awareness of my self destruction surfaced.  There were no enemies, no keeper of the cage.  There was only myself to hold accountable for the complete lack of appreciation and disregard for gratitude to the Divine for creating me.  It was then I promised to terminate the negative and begin to sing the positive.  No more lies! 


No comments:

Post a Comment