Tuesday, March 12, 2013

To Journey with Dreams





I believe in everything until it's disproved.  So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons.  It all exists, even if it's in your mind.  Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?   John Lennon




Scientific studies, psychological literature, and sage philosophers reflect the importance of dreaming and substantiate dreams.  We dream in color, images or symbols reflecting emotions, and frequently personal messages can be detected.  In a sense, dreaming can be a form of communication.  This includes pleasant dreams as well as nightmares.

As I was driving home from Nashville, Tennessee,  I decided to listen to a series of spiritual tapes (yes, they are old)  to help pass the time as I found my self to be bored.  I had played these tapes many times, but it had been years and I was curious as to how much I had forgotten or embraced. 

After considerable winding and rewinding, I managed to insert one of the tapes correctly.  The content was discussing how God uses the Holy Spirit to speak through us.  The presenter was using an example of a child dreaming, actually having a nightmare.  Assuming the audience was on the same wave length, he describes entering the child's room and gently assuring the child he or she is safe.  He firmly stated that "we" were not interested in the dream content as it was not important.  "We" did not ask the child what the nightmare contained,  as our job was to bring comfort from the Holy Spirit through our voice.  After a few moments of assurance, the child is told to return to sleep.

Confined and alone in my car, I found my self yelling, "Are you kidding me?"  My hands  white knuckled on the steering wheel, and my foot accelerating in reaction to my anger,  I found my self speeding down the interstate.  Yes, of course, comfort the child with God and Holy Spirit flowing through words, but if there is no discussion of the dream, one will simply repress what was already repressed, allowing the nightmare to resurface again.

As I continued my drive home in silence, I recalled many times each of my four children experienced dreams.  They reported mystical dreams or silly adventures or nightmares.  I would remain present with them, listening and allowing them to talk the content out.  Comfort is vitally important but it is not the only necessity in dream resolution.

I think of dreams as feed back.  If I am suppressing fear, chances are good I may have a nightmare.  If I am struggling with creative output, I may have a dream containing an excellent format I had not yet thought of.  If I am conflicted with a relationship, I may dream a mini drama reflecting different options I had not considered or see my self portrayed in a not so pretty light.

Dreams are a form of communication, telling us, showing us, and helping us to navigate in life just a little bit better.  They help us to see things how they could be or maybe how things really are.  There are symbols, themes and insights buried within the scenario just waiting to be discovered and applied.

If you are the least bit curious, please discover the book:  THE MYSTICAL MAGICAL MARVELOUS WORLD of DREAMS, written by Wilda B. Tanner.  It truly is the only book a person might need.  The first part explains how dreams work, what they might mean, and developing the practice of remembering or recording dreams.   Another section discusses what animals, buildings, clothing, backgrounds, locations, actions, parts of the body, and actions have to do with dreams.  The remainder of the book is a dream dictionary.  I first purchased this book in 1988 and truly believe it is one of the best available.  It is very user friendly, respected, and thorough.

Need to get away?  Grab this book and a journal and you will be blown away!!





No comments:

Post a Comment