Friday, October 7, 2011

Empty chairs ...






We must not, in trying to think about how we
can make a big difference,
ignore the small daily differences
we can make which, over time,
add up to big differences
that we often cannot foresee.

Marion Wright Edelman


Earlier in my life when I was being squeezed out of the restraints of organized religion and into the freedom of ecumenical spiritual freedom, I found myself worrying about what great contribution I would personally give to the world.  I wondered what credentials I had, who my contacts would be, and where I would go to accomplish some great gift of peace.  Ego, was of course, driving this folly.

Through experience and deeper understanding, I was soon to learn that few of us are called to greatness.  The realization that I would not be the Queen Bee of anything, allowed me more time to be more realistic in my quest.  I wanted to make a daily difference in the world in a humble and unnoticeable way.  My desire was to share what I had grown to understand with others without preaching or being invasive.  Eventually, I was shown a way.

We must look at our personal gifts and agendas to discern how they can fit together so daily, we are giving as much as we are receiving.  It is not about finances or busy schedules, but having a constant awareness of the presence of others around us.  If we remain mindful and treat those around us with respect and kindness, we are bringing peace to our community.  It is not about approving unacceptable behavior or judging actions.  Through acceptance and compassion we can warm a lonely heart.

My passion for writing brings me a sense of connection with the spiritual world as well as the physical world.  By posting on a blog, my thoughts can be shared with those who I may never meet, willing to take the time to read.  I am hoping that my words will encourage and brighten the lives of others on their time when they are ready.

As an energy worker, I am always experimenting with love, light, and energy which are the components we all have.  Whether I am driving my car, in the aisles of a grocery store, or taking a walk, my light is going out to everything and everyone around me.  This is my contribution, the gift I extend to my community and to the world.  It is what I do and have done for years.

Recently, I found myself sitting on a cold metal folding chair in a waiting room filled with many others.  A note card was clutched in my hand with an assigned number on it and I waited for my turn.  I realized that the numbers were being called out of order, so I could not guess at how soon mine would be called.  I read my book for awhile, chatted with the nice lady seated next to me, and found myself to be distracted by all of the noise surrounding me.  Children were crying from being kept still for too long.  People were complaining about the long wait.  The security guard was demanding that all cell phones were to be turned off, even though the air was filled with a variety of ring tones.  Anxiety filled the air.

As I sat amongst these people from all walks of life, I set aside speculation and judgment.  I allowed myself to feel compassion for each of their journeys and the challenges they would face.  As I was watching people come and go,  I would silently send them blessings and cover them with light.  My eyes drifted up and down the aisles of chairs, and one by one, good wishes and loving light were sent their way.  This helped time pass while the minutes dragged by. 

The guard had locked the front door, closing the building for the day and not allowing any new people in.  He made a statement saying that everyone present would get to complete their business by the end of the day.   I had already been sitting for a few hours and thankfully, there were only a few hours left in the work day.

My number was finally called and I was able to take care of my business with a very kind woman.  As I sat down in front of her, I automatically covered her in patience and light.  It would have been tempting to complain about my long wait, but instead I relaxed her by thanking her for being there to do what she obviously did so well.  In no time at all, business was complete, and I left her office.

As I exited through the waiting room, I was amazed to find that every chair was empty.  It brought a smile inside of me, as I knew that during the four hours I had been waiting, every person who had been sitting in a chair had received love, energy, and light. 

We all have time to do this if not something similar.  In this day and age, we find ourselves waiting in chairs, driving and experiencing dead time.  We all can develop the habit of sending love out into the world without there being a crisis or trauma to inspire the action.  The gesture can become as easily as the habit of crossing your arms or legs.  It costs nothing.

This has been about us giving, but we receive as well.  By developing a practice of silently giving, we receive inside of our selves a sense of connection, kindness, and peace.  This experience, no matter how brief, makes us stronger for our day.  It brings balance and awareness. 

It is the little things that can be so pivotal in life, so stop waiting for one monumental gesture.  If we begin our small string of kindness today, we will experience a warm feeling growing within. 
The warm feeling may be our hearts opening to the blessings we receive when we allow spirit to work through us. 









No comments:

Post a Comment