Monday, March 2, 2020

Slow Boat to Geriatrics





"Some part of me can't wait to see 
what life's going to come up with next!"
Alexander Shulgin

Growing up, I never had grandmothers or grandfathers or any aging elders to set an example for me.  Age, actually, never registered within me ... at least once I obtained a fake i.d. stating I was 21.  Over the years I never was really certain just how old I was.  So this whole aging section of my life has not gone especially well.

Since I have had the habit of regulating myself by my thoughts and belief system, not much emphasis was placed on age.  Now I am faced with society's expectation of being old.  I will admit to feeling physically restricted in some areas like jumping or wall climbing, but I continue to be attracted to weird shoes, odd jewelry and random clothes.  I have the inclination to continue to be me rather than wear old peoples clothes and give up the fight.

When I deliberately look at the options for those who are aging I sincerely want to laugh out loud.  I believe I can speak for my generation by stating we are not yet ready to lie down and die.  I am not ready to stop thinking and doing.  Okay, maybe the doing has to be modified, but I am still breathing and dreaming!  It is with enthusiasm I view the next portion of my life as an adventure even if it has to be somewhat altered.  I am definitely not getting on that slow boat to geriatrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment