Sunday, October 22, 2017

The Ancient Law of Life






"Trees are sanctuaries.  Whoever knows how to speak to them,
whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth.  They
do not preach learning and precepts, they preach, undeterred by 
particulars, the ancient law of life."
Hermann Hesse

As a child growing up in a large city, solitude was hard to come by.  Living in an apartment building hampered my access to nature.  The apartment building offered one large tree and it became my friend.  As I grew older, I rode my bike to neighborhood parks where I found space to be me.  In high school I had the opportunity to go on canoe trips portaging up into Canada.  The Canadian trees  were like meeting extended family.  In a small college town overlooking the Mississippi River, my relationship with trees deepened.

Throughout my adult life, I have maintained my kinship with trees.  They are by far my inspiration.  I am aware of all of the differences between the numerous trees, but find myself able to love each and every one... bark, leaves, seedlings, root systems, wood and longevity, 

Like trees, I want to become aware of the differences in people, but still see them as fellow human beings.  I have no desire for priority or selective distinction as I wander through diversity, striving to be capable of appreciation and understanding.  The world is a sanctuary and we must learn to speak and to listen in order to learn the truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment