Saturday, September 24, 2016

"I am fine"


"I wanted to talk about it
Damn it.
I wanted to scream.
I wanted to yell.
I wanted to shout about it.
But all I could do was whisper,
'I'm fine.'"
Facebook: The Idealist



"My baby's got me locked up in chains" was a song performed by the Beatles, Carole King, and Little       Eva to mention just a few.  The lyrics say the chains cannot be seen, but they bind us and we cannot set ourselves free.  The song references a love that suffocates, dismantles, and disengages personal     preference.

We learn to swallow our words at a very young age.  Our longing to be loved outweighs our need to be seen.  We acquiesce to the whims of others while our own dreams and desires are left ignored.  Our external and internal livelihood may be in disarray and yet we quietly say, "I am fine".

Any one can hold us prisoner ... our relatives, children, spouse, friends, or work. Expectations ingrained in us by church, family, or society are difficult to adjust or release.  We begin by sensing the unseen chains.  We then nurture our own core.  As we realign our intentions, we become strong enough to release whatever binds us.  With this freedom, we can administer to others, but not at the   cost of our lovely selves.


No comments:

Post a Comment