Sunday, November 20, 2011

Inventory of Relationships





The kaleidoscope of colour
which is my life ,
Shows the interesting choices
I've made along the way.

Antie Koekie



This morning I read "Our relationships were meant to bring us joy and empowerment." (A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE by Alan Cohen).  I began to explore the truth in this statement within my relationships.

As a "people person"  I have a variety of relationships and as I evaluate them, I find that some weigh me down or stress me out whereas others nurture and stimulate me.  I realize that some need to be gently wrapped up, given closure, and safely stored away.  Others need to be reopened, restored and appreciated while still others just need forgiveness and release.  My inventory of relationships feels heavy and in need of attention.

This exploration of relationships makes me realize how inconsistently I give of myself.  It seems I have it in reverse ... giving more or trying harder in areas that perhaps deserve less and not having as much time for those that deserve my full attention.

I realize the need to bring integrity into my exchanges rather than anxiety with a 'lesser than' attitude.  I need to speak up and express myself honestly rather than hiding or feeling too vulnerable.  All disingenuous conversations drain me whereas
speaking my truth with respect towards others empowers me.

There is no need for manipulation or power plays.  I just need to let interactions unfold in a natural way as long as I honor myself in the process.  I must look deeply into the heart of the other to see how I can best serve without giving myself away. 


No comments:

Post a Comment