Friday, July 5, 2013

Before It Is Too Late






“She had blue skin,
And so did he.
He kept it hid
And so did she.
They searched for blue
Their whole life through,
Then passed right by-
And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein
September 25, 1930 – May 8/9, 1999
EVERYTHING ON IT 





Shel Silverstein was a very talented man (poet, singer-songwriter, cartoonist, screenwriter, and author of children's books).  He was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, but spent his later years in Key West, Florida, where he died from a massive heart attack at the age of 68. 

When I first began purchasing children's books, I discovered Shel Silverstein.  Some of his most popular books were :  THE GIVING TREE, WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, THE MISSING PIECE, A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC, and FALLING UP.  I collected most of them during my parenting years, but then ended up passing them along with each child.  Then I started gifting them to grandchildren. 

Each of his stories are timeless observations for children, and the stories are  also endearing to the adult  reader.  He engaged his readers by creating respect for all things.  Shel Silverstein's books have been translated into 30 different languages and over 20 million have been sold. 

Shel Silverstein also played guitar, piano, saxophone, and trombone.  He actually wrote the song, "A Boy Named Sue," that Johnny Cash made quite popular.  He wrote for numerous artists such as:  Loretta Lynn, Irish Rovers, Wayland Jennings, Gordon Lightfoot, The New Christy Minstrels, Marianne Faithful, and Judy Collins.  So his musical talent was deeply explored as well.

One might wonder exactly why I am writing about Shel Silverstein.  To be honest, I have asked my self this  same question.   I have no real knowledge of what his personal life looked like, but I do know that he had a way of writing about  life that was easily impressed upon one's mind, both young and old,  and then remembered for years to come.

Shel Silverstein had many gifts and talents and I admire him for using them to the fullest degree.   He wrote from his personal perceptions hoping people would see life as simply as he did.  He would grasp honesty and truth for basic guidelines.  I admire his versatility and the discipline required of his career.  I marvel at how many lives he touched.  

I wonder how many of us have contacted previous teachers or mentors or role models thanking them for their wisdom.   Maybe there is someone in our past who could really benefit from knowing they are especially remembered.  There may even people currently in our lives we need to recognize just for being who they are.   Sure would be a nice gesture, and believe me, we will be glad we did, before it is too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment