Thursday, September 15, 2011

and finally ...






" ... and finally she came to the place
whether the other no longer mattered.
where Grace lit up the room.

lighting her candle
from that sacred flame ---
she went out to warm the world."

terri st. cloud
bonesigharts.blogspot.com



The Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church celebrated its 24th Greek Festival and the attendance was high.  The weather was beautiful and the gala music floated through the air.   There were food tents and tables filled with candles, jewelry, and religious mementos.

Tours of the church were offered, so I wandered inside.  The wooden pews, the decorative paintings, and the design all reflected a religion that I did not know, but I felt invited and embraced.  Towards the back of the church, there was an area with skinny beeswax candles stuck in sand burning brightly.  For a small donation, an unlit candle could be chosen, then touched to an existing burning candle.

Clearing my mind, I was careful in selecting my candle from the pile.  As I walked over to the burning candles, I waited for a prayer to form.  Almost instantly from my heart, the words came tumbling out.  ... 'Thank you!  Thank you so much for my four children and grandchildren who have taught me how to love and remain resilient."  I moved the wick of my candle into a flame and as it ignited, I felt a tender warmth in my heart. 

As I walked out of the church, the festival activities once again surrounded me and lifted my spirits even higher.  I felt joyful and almost buoyant.   It was good to watch the children dancing in costume and to hear adults heartily singing words I did not understand.  To be in the midst of this celebration my warmth naturally flowed into a collective feeling of being one.









No comments:

Post a Comment