Friday, September 2, 2011

Speaking Your Truth ... Once





maybe grace is figuring out
it's not all about you.
that people are doing
what they're doing
for their own reasons.
not yours.
and maybe grace
is accepting that.

Terri St. Cloud



Introduced by a mutual friend, Nancy B became a 'sister of my heart' as well as a loving mentor.  As a long time neighbor, discussions led anywhere from relationships with friends and animals, favorite authors, lessons in life, to planting a tree between our yards symbolizing all of the special "Rose's" in our life.

As any wise soul, Nancy always had insights to be shared.   One day she said, "We have the right to speak our truth to our child ... but once only."  We had been talking about having good boundaries, and where the line was between being helpful or being reduntanly invasive. 

This piece of wisdom has been very helpful not only with my children, but with my friends as well.  It is not always easy to know when to speak out or when it is best to remain still.  We all have our visions and we are all entitled to find our own way, but sometimes we can learn from each other. 

I have a right to my truth and an obligation to speak it ... gently and lovingly.  If I say it once and it goes unheard, than so be it.  I did my part.  To continuously belabor my point of view, it can be perceived as interferance.   If my truth encourages or assists another, than I have served.

We do not know what is best for someone else, so we must trust their decisions and listen to their dreams.  If we interfere, we may be causing the person to miss an important lesson, something vital they must learn on their own.

Embracing others with love and compassion will enhance relationships far greater than judgment and closed mindedness.  Honor your truth, but ultimately, see the grace in letting others experience life in their own way.  They too, have their own truth.







No comments:

Post a Comment