Friday, July 15, 2011

Bent Out of Shape ...





If I'm losing balance in a pose,
I stretch higher and
God reaches down
to steady me. 
It works every time
and not just in yoga.

Terri Guillemets


Kundalini Yoga caught my attention!  My body had been bent out of shape from moving heavy boxes, pushing and pulling furniture, and carrying stress.   I needed some gentle movement for my physical well being and the meditation portion would be a bonus.

Attending class, I was thankful to not be the only 'first timer' to this particular yoga studio.  The teacher was engaging, kind, and observant which resulted in a positive experience.  Kundalini Yoga is focused on breathwork which I found to be easier to do than I initially thought.  The yoga positions were somewhat challenging while knowing they would eventually become more intense as the class progressed.

While backing out of the parking lot, I immediately noticed that I had a wider range of movement in my neck and shoulders.  The short drive home was long enough to realize I was calm and peaceful.  All was right in my world.

I must admit, however, that the experience brought up a longing for my friend Nancy who has been a yoga instructor for over a few decades.  She is also a member of my women's circle, a sister of my heart.  She is one of those teachers who doesn't just sit and direct.  She becomes engaged with each student, observing efforts so that she can offer kind suggestions to which the student happily responds, "Oh, that is so much better!"

Nancy introduced me through yoga to poets such as:  Mary Oliver, David Whyte, and John O'Donohue to name just a few.  Her hypnotic voice beckons you easily into the world of meditation.  Anyone who has experienced Nancy has nothing but praise for her abilities and kindness.  She is encouraging, supportive, and well versed in the world of yoga.

I suggest you visit her wonderful blog: 

http://nanyoga-alongthepath.blogspot.com/  

You'll be glad you did! 
Namaste










No comments:

Post a Comment