Monday, January 11, 2021

Images within Images




"I think I can hear the unseen moon."
Alexandra Oliva

Either in seventh or eighth grade, I realized I had been staring at a door frame that contained numerous images in the wooden grain.  I wasn't surprised by the discovery, but I was stricken by how many years I had been doing this, without paying attention.

It wouldn't matter if I were looking at tile on the floor, graphic drapes or rain pooling into puddles, individual shapes would stand out.  Eventually, I began to wonder how much I was absorbing unconsciously and to what degree it was affecting me.

Daphne Du Maurier, author of numerous books, wrote about a gentleman who walked numerous miles, and every time he crossed over the rail road tracks, he entered a different world.  He remained the same in thoughts, but his life was totally different on the other side.  When he walked back, he returned to what he thought of as normal.  It makes me wonder how many times we unknowingly cross over a boundary into a different world, but just never remember it when we return.



No comments:

Post a Comment