Friday, September 20, 2019

A Candle for When the Lights Go Out





"May it be a light to you in dark places,
when all other lights go out."
J.R.R. Tolkien

We tended, as children,  to regard gifts as gloriously wrapped boxes with bows.  As the years of life gain momentum, we begin to shift our definition about gifts.  Our perception stretches to include unseen actions, deliberate intervention and random acts of kindness.

Once I called a friend to tell her I was falling apart.  She hung the phone up and appeared before me with the gift of her presence. (Thirty years ago and I still treasure her efforts.)  I was checking out of a gas station and came up one penny short.   A filthy dirty misshapen and trembling hand came out of no where dropping a penny on my pile.  The homeless man with a toothless smile quivered, "Here, let me help."  I gifted him back with gratitude and respect.

Gifts can expand from successful surgery to the toothless smile of a grandchild.  The sun coming out to lift our spirits or a gentle spring rain to boost sagging flowers surely make the gift list.  The coyote darting across the interstate at night makes us laugh so hard we are once again awake.  A mentor of mine once gave me a candle to light whenever I was overwhelmed by darkness.  She has moved on to other realms, but thankfully her gift of an old candle remains.  A candle for when my lights go out, as they sometimes will.


No comments:

Post a Comment