Monday, June 10, 2019

Book Marks and Yardsticks




"There is a certain part of all of us that lives outside of time.
Perhaps we become aware of our age only at exceptional
moments and most of the time we are ageless."
Milan Kundera

The importance of age declines once the first date, drivers license, and age twenty-one passes us by.  It becomes a book mark or a yardstick, but certainly does not demand riveting attention.  With each passing year, we can open our minds to original thought and mentored speculation.

When our children become adults and successfully move on in their own lives, life returns portions of time to us.  It is not ear marked for cleaning, extending socially, or isolating.  It is an opportunity to dig out unfinished projects, enroll in a workshop, or enhance awareness of the silence outdoors.

When I just had the two boys, I can easily remember feeling the pinch of trying to work all of our individual interests into a schedule.  I clearly remember thinking, " I will give my interests up for now to spend time with my kids,  as one day they will be gone and free time will be given back to me."  Total of four adult children later, time was generously given back to me ... expanding and contracting... and it was joyfully spent on exploration and discovery!


No comments:

Post a Comment