Friday, December 27, 2019

Can You Tell You Are A Little Different?




 

"The most fascinating people, those who made a mark on this Earth,
who changed history and culture are always those who were a 
little different."
Eileen Anglin

Over the years, there has been a noticeable shift from hounding our children about perfection of a singular idea and encouraging them to explore and expand.  Years ago, parents had tunnel vision about what their precious babies would do once grown up, whether they liked it or not.

Reflections of my father's generation remain with me.  We were talking about his career and I had asked if he 'liked' it.  He looked at me like I was ignorant and exclaimed, "You don't like your work.  You are thankful for a job and you just do it!"

Just recently a parent of an excellent athlete mentioned his son discovering his natural talent for music, and how the family was encouraging him.  I flashed back to my youth and remembered being told to steer away from both music and art as they would never support a family.  Individually, we must pursue or at least experience our own individuality.  All parts of our lovely selves are supported by our unique experiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment