Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Kindle a Fire Within




"Find the local women.  The makers. 
Listen to the voices of their handcrafts.  
What speaks to you?"
Sarah La Rosa

Attending Folk Art Fairs has been one of my oldest and favorite ventures.  There were vendors who had accomplished designs I could never begin to attempt.  The ingenious approaches of some were simply amazing.  How did they do that?  What does this piece tell me?  Many were masters in their art choice, but to ask them they would claim, "I simply love the feel of the texture .... The colors kept begging me for more ....  How can I add my personal touch?"

In casual conversation, most Folk Artists do not reflect striving for perfection.  They express a love for what they can create digging a little deeper.  Their words are inspiring, loving, and respectful.  They do not dwell on competition except with themselves.  They all seem to have the attitude of "There is still so much more I want to do!" Just viewing the Folk Artist's work kindles a fire within.

The artists seem to be seeking a higher level of expression.  Whether making baskets, rugs, pottery or jewelry, the most attractive tend to be individualistic rather than duplicating.  The common human being is frightened from their natural ability to create by fear of failure or self-imposed expectation of perfection.  Whatever artistic flair we might have, we tend to take for granted.  Experiment ... pen to page ... yarn to needle ... sliding beads ... and discover energy becoming a force towards authentic production.



No comments:

Post a Comment