Friday, April 22, 2016

Not Knowing Until We Forget






"The artist is no other than he who unlearns what he has learned,
in order to know himself."
e.e. cummings 

The heavily armored guard blocked the prestigious entry way, to the hallways of all knowing. Gruffly, he shouted, "Identify yourself!"  Hesitantly, I muttered my birth name.  "A name tells me nothing. Identify yourself," the muscled man barked.  Fact bearing information streamed through my mind, but I could not speak.  Confused, and threatened by the darkness of the night, I wandered away.

I hastened to the top of a large boulder.  I watched the moon sail across the sky and patiently awaited the rising of the sun.   I ventured to a near by stream sifting through my nocturnal contemplations.  Dipping my feet into the water's edge, I realized I knew even less about myself than when I first arrived. To calm myself, I listened to the birds singing their songs and felt the wind rippling through the thick branches of the trees. All concrete thoughts were gently blown away.

When I returned once again seeking safe passage into the hallways of all knowing, the burly man was no where to be seen.  I settled in to await my fate.  As the sun was setting, the guard returned and unlocked the gate.  His penetrating gaze fell upon my face and he broke into a great toothy grin!  "Now you really don't know who you are! Welcome, and come in!"

No comments:

Post a Comment