Monday, October 15, 2012

Gifts from the Art Fair






 I was in a queer mood, thinking myself old;  but now I am a woman again ~ as I always am when I write.  
Virginia Woolf


A few days ago, we went to the Peoria Art Fair.  It was a gorgeous drive as the leaves on the trees had taken on vibrant fall colors.  We have had so little rain, I expected the leaves to crinkle up and turn brown, but this clearly isn't the case.

I thoroughly enjoyed the drive as either side of the highway was splattered with deep rich colors.  It felt as though the trees themselves were casting out a powerful energy to anyone willing to take in the beauty of nature.  This array of colors and texture certainly set the mood for the art fair.

We arrived one minute prior to the opening, but the parking lot was mostly full and many art enthusiasts were already wandering through the works of art at the river front park.  Oh, I was excited!  The sun was out and the temperature had not even reached 70 degrees.  It was a perfect fall day and quality art, interesting artists, and a creative atmosphere would soon be tantalizing all of my senses. 

We wandered the art fair for a few hours while I marveled at the creativity of many artists from Michigan, Colorado, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Florida, Alabama and other states as well.  The art exhibits were very diverse so each tent brought an interesting and unique surprise. 

I must admit my favorite part is talking with these creative artists, listening to where their imagination leads them, and how they express their art to obtain the end result.  One such artist, Erika Mock from Superior, Wisconsin, was delightful!  She creates textiles for body and soul with the suggestion of "Balance your  life with art."  She was an enchanting and spunky individual and we had an immediate connection.  Everything about her was unique and I felt as though I had met a kindred spirit.  Her website:  www.erikamock.com

Designs by Dana also captivated me, but for a different reason.  At this exhibit, several women were working together.  They were all dressed uniquely, and with artistic flair!  They were decorated from head to toe and they were having the time of their life!  The tent was filled with buyers interested in their textiles, but their atmosphere of good friends having a 'hoot' pulled people right in.  They encouraged every one to try something on, while their laughter and sense of sisterhood  encouraged every sale.   Their designs can be found on facebook, Etsy.com or www.DesignsByDana11.com

Brenna Busse is an artist from Minneapolis, MN and can be found at www.brennabusse.com  She makes these incredible pieces difficult to describe.  To call them a doll would be insulting.  They are intriguing forms with richly colored fibers.  Only the tiny head, hands and feet are exposed.  My instant reaction triggered thoughts such as:  historical form, ritual, honor, symbols,  and intricate details.  She was a gracious woman who definitely enhanced my day's experience.

There were more artists working with oil, water color, or combined mediums.  There were steel designs and very unique jewelry worthy of future heirlooms.  And just as interesting were those attending the art fair.  It was an atmosphere of fun, peace, and friendliness even though it was an odd assortment of folks who had never met before.  They were the true gifts from the art fair,  inspiring my mind, my heart and my soul!














1 comment:

  1. Thank you Virginia for visiting my tent while you were at the Peoria Fine Arts Fair! I really appreciate your wonderful comments!

    Kind regards,

    Dana Baldwin DesignsByDana

    ReplyDelete