Friday, June 29, 2012

Silencing Ego




Anytime there is a struggle between doing what is actually right and doing what seems right, then your ego is interfering with your decision.   ~Darren L. Johnson


One day I was talking to a person who inquired about Reiki.
I was in a good mood and a relaxed social situation, so I dove in head first into the conversation.  However, my focus was not on Reiki.  It was on: "I" experience ... "I" can feel ... "I" can see ..., etc.   The person inquired about Reiki, but instead of describing Reiki, "I" was allowing ego to monopolize the conversation.  Without ego, the conversation would have been about  how "you" would feel,  what "you" might experience or how energy work might impact "you".   Energy work is not
about 'me' no matter how good "I" am.   I am blessed to be a vessel for energy....a hollow pipe .... a vehicle for energy to pass through.


So if I talk less and listen more I am enabled to actually hear when ego takes over.  One must be aware of the dominating ego prior to silencing it.

In another conversation with someone who did not know me very well brought up the subject of dreams. I have studied dreams for years, tracked my dreams daily, and have
done workshops and lectures on dreams which this woman obviously did not know.  So this novice was speculating about
dreams.  Ego bristles and the temptation is to say, "Well, let me tell you ...." but I recognized ego's desire to be important.  I also realized that the other woman would have been  embarrassed.  So my 'higher self' ignored ego and remained a good listener.

There is always choice and if we choose to let ego run over others, we are generally serving our selves and not honoring others.   So we endeavor to keep our motivation for what is best for the other, in this particular situation, rather than for our selves.

Another area where ego runs rampant is with our children or grandchildren or friends.  How many times have we said, "I have told them numerous times about .... and they don't listen." Then when the unfortunate situation comes true, we want to say,  "hmmmm, haven't 'I' told you this would happen. ?"
So that is ego seeking its own glory, not having the other person's best interest at heart. 

Instead of always having an "I" answer, it is sometimes best to ask questions: What do you think your best option is? What do you think you can afford to do? Can you break the problem down into steps?   See how the focus shifts and empowers the other person?  So the response comes with comfort rather than  "my right' answers.

There is a process in learning how to silence the ego.  Here is a glimpse of how the transition can unfold:
Know that ego shouldn't be dominant
Listen to yourself
Be aware of  when it happens (with certain people, situations)
Stop in mid-sentence and redirect by eliminating "I"
Redirect by asking questions of the other person
Practice and ego grows silent

We all have the obligation to speak our truth and to use our voice.   There are certain times, however,  when being humble and allowing our self to "be still" or witness without input increases the bond between children, grandchildren or friends.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment