Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Compliments and Criticisms ...







A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE
by Alan Cohen

Many of us have difficulty accepting compliments because we subconsciously believe that we are not worthy of them.  A compliment triggers our discomfort of believing that if the complimenters knew the truth about us, they would find the contrary.  We do not recognize the the person who compliments us is closer to the truth than we are.



It is much easier for me to receive criticism than it is to receive a compliment.  I have been aware of this for quite some time.  In an attempt to improve my reaction when someone offered a compliment, I forced myself  to promptly reply with a smile saying "Why thank you!"  Then I would hurriedly change the subject, disliking the attention that had been brought upon me.  

Alan Cohen suggests that we "Practice letting compliments in.  Instead of firing off a polite 'Thank you,' take a breath and a moment to let the gift seep in; this will energize you and bless the giver."

So now I try to insert a pause before a response.  I attempt to embrace the compliment by allowing it to flow over me.  Then in returning kindness, I extend a pleasant comment back to the complimenter.  For me, this creates a balance where I can be more comfortable.






No comments:

Post a Comment