Monday, May 30, 2011

Loving fully



 Our purpose really comes down to loving fully,
to being alight with who we are
beneath all the names and titles
we are given or aspire to.

THE BOOK OF AWAKENING by Mark Nepo


My long over due visit with two college classmates stirred up memories of past years and reflected transformations in each of us.  We embraced the closeness and acceptance that only weathered friendships extend.  The uncertainty of life and death brought the three of us under one roof, and together we listened with open hearts, supported with sincere encouragement, and celebrated the individual paths that each of us had followed.

Our first discussion seemed to relate to each other as sisters of the past.   Most of the conversation was based on favorite teachers, current details of classmates, and endless stories of the past recalled with great humor.  As the hours passed, however, defining ourselves in terms of who we had been fell away, and we were soon wearing masks of who we had become. 

Three distinctive female personalities, three diverse life styles, and three independent professional careers were outer layers covering the imaginary cords that held us together for over 40 years.  The masks were slowly sliding from our faces as we moved through our career stories and began to discuss life from our hearts, risking vulnerability and joyfully finding compassion.

In our last days together, it was as though we had abandoned our life suits, leaving them hollow and unused.  Not knowing if we would ever be together again, our conversations were honest, meaningful, and thought provoking.  Together we decided healthy relationships must include equality, integrity, respect for diversity and compassion in order for all beings to establish peace within and without.

At the end of many days, departure for me was emotional.  In spite of all my spiritual beliefs, my human nature found it difficult to say good bye with the uncertainty of ever seeing each other in the physical again.  It was overwhelming to visualize my life without the presence of my oldest friends who have blessed me with unconditional love and honored me by graciously accepting mine.   I reluctantly returned to my little corner of the world, readying myself to continue my personal journey best that I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment