Sunday, February 4, 2018

A Better Place




"We should try to leave the world a better place than when we entered it.  As individuals,
we can make a difference, whether it is to probe the secrets of Nature, to clean up the 
environment and work for peace and social justice, or to nurture the inquisitive, 
vibrant spirit of the young by being a guide."
Michio Kaku


Sociology and Psychology were equal in my education and prepared me with book sense for working in the world with those whom struggled.  Being effective, however, requires street knowledge and an awareness of the  depths of physical and emotional bruising.

Generations of families knew how to work the system and the state did not offer realistic family goals  to align resources with the disabled or displaced.  Living off the state programs was easier than pursuing positive change.  It seemed lawmakers did not have an in depth understanding of the limits and dynamics within hurting families.  Lawmakers were creating programs that the less fortunate would never be able to master.

Working with diverse populations, I adjusted my definition of success.  Those I served would improve by increments and I knew I would return to them repeatedly boosting them with one tiny step at a time.  I remained invested in my career by reminding my self that I was offering numerous opportunities to those involved and they had the choice to invest or walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment